NYU Langone Medical Center
NYU Langone Health is a world-class, patient-centered, integrated academic medical center, known for its excellence in clinical care, research, and education. It comprises more than 200 locations throughout the New York area, including five inpatient locations, a children's hospital, three emergency rooms and a level 1 trauma center. Also part of NYU Langone Health is the Laura and Isaac Perlmutter Cancer Center, a National Cancer Institute designated comprehensive cancer center, and NYU Grossman School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. At NYU Langone Health, equity, diversity, and inclusion are fundamental values. We strive to be a place where our exceptionally talented faculty, staff, and students of all identities can thrive. We embrace diversity, inclusion, and individual skills, ideas, and knowledge. For more information, go to nyulangone.org, and interact with us on LinkedIn, Glassdoor, Indeed, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Cytology Technologist.
In this role, the successful candidate screens, evaluates and interprets cytology specimens of all types in a timely and accurate manner. Participates in quality control and quality assurance activities. Assists during Fine Needle Aspiration biopsy procedure for on site assessment and specimen preparation.
- Performs primary screening of Gynecological and Non-gynecological specimens, including cell block and special stains specimens. Renders interpretation with appropriate comment in accordance with established department reporting procedures.
- Maintains microscope in working condition by performing routine maintenance to include general cleaning, troubleshooting and reporting irregularities (documenting on appropriate from.).
- Participates in required in-services and continuing education requirements as defined by DOH and implemented by the supervisor.
- Maintains open communication with department supervisor, pathologists and co-workers, particularly as it relates to important case information, FNA issues, and other related patient care issues.
- Participation in supply inventory management as it relates to FNA supplies.
- Proper use of LIS system (Powerpath), and as applicable Epic, Omni-Trax, Voicebrook.
- Utilizing, maintaining, and troubleshooting all equipment; ThinPrep instrumentation, SurePath instrumentation, Leica instrumentation, and all other laboratory centrifuges and instruments.
- Maintains daily record of slides screened/hours worked and slides screened/ hour for any other outside employer. Provides this information to supervisor as requested.
- Rotates in the cyto-preparatory lab as assigned by supervisor to perform cytologic specimen preparation including ThinPrep PAP test imaging system.
- Promptly arrives at fine needle aspiration (FNA) biopsy procedures to access the specimen adequacy. Responsible for providing this service at all relevant NYU hospital center facilities including: Tisch hospital and the Ambulatory Care Center at 38th Street.
- Completes screening in a timely fashion; completes daily assigned work by the end of the shift as assigned by the supervisor and /or medical director.
- Performs daily Quality Control screening as part of regular work, as assigned the supervisor.
- Is able to exercise independent judgment evaluation, processing, and assessment of specimens.
- NYSDOH Licensed as a Cytotechnologist from the Office of the Professions, State Education Department, State of New York or hold a limited permit as CLT that will lead to such license.
- Cytotechnologist Registration from the New York State Department of Health, Clinical Laboratory Evaluation Program.
- Bachelors Degree in Clinical Laboratory Technology from a program registered by the NYS Department of Education or Bachelors degree in the major of biology, chemistry or physical sciences from an accredited college or university or at least three (3) years of experience in a similar laboratory including previous supervisory experience. This requirement is defined by NYS clinical laboratory licensing requirements.
- An associates or high school degree will only be accepted if the individual has the designated experience defined by NYS and has obtained their NYS license through the grand-parenting pathway
- 6 months - 1 year in a cytology laboratory performing work as a cytotechnologist.
- Exposure to computer systems. Effective oral, written, communication and interpersonal skills.
Required Licenses: Cytotechnologist License - NYS
Preferred Qualifications:Bachelors degree, 3 years in a cytology laboratory performing work as a cytotechnologist. American Society for Clinical Pathology Board of Registry, ASCP certification (CT(ASCP). Additional certifications preferred, e.g. SCT(ASCP) or IAC, CMIAC, CFIAC. Certification in liquid-based technologies. Certification in computer-based screening systems. Prior experience in assisting and assessing Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsies.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Health provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Health's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal "EEO is the law" poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information.
NYU Langone Health provides a salary range to comply with the New York City Law on Salary Transparency in Job Advertisements. The salary range for the role is $93,387 - $116,910 Annually. Actual salaries depend on a variety of factors, including experience, specialty, education, and hospital need. The salary range or contractual rate listed does not include bonuses/incentive, differential pay or other forms of compensation or benefits.
To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here
Employment/Position Type:Full Time
Share On :